Just about my favorite creation to give in this format: S'mores They
are really quick and simple to put together and are so pretty! They are created using marshmallow peeps and M&Ms candy - which are both available in great holiday colors during the different season. Which makes this one of the most versatile jars for gift giving (or for simply displaying in your own home during the holidays).
Ingredients and directions:
You'll need a clean 1 quart mason jar, 1 sleeve graham crackers, 1 package holiday marshmallow peeps, one bag of holiday M&Ms candies (regular ones, not the peanut kind), 1/3 cup of brown sugar, a circle of fabric or paper, and ribbon or raffia to decorate the lid. Card stock or paper for tag.
1. Reduce 1 sleeve graham crackers to crumbs.
2. Layer 2/3 of the crumbs in a 1 qt jar. Pack down the crumbs a bit.
3. Place about 1/4 cup of M&Ms candies on top of the graham crackers.
4. Arrange 8 to 12 marshmallow holiday peeps standing up, facing out around the inside of the jar. Press them up against the glass, but don't squash them. Depending on the type of peeps available you might use either one row (like christmas trees or bunnies) or 2 rows (like pumpkins or hearts).
5. Carefully spoon remaining cracker crumbs in the center of the jar to support the peeps, pressing down to keep it snug.
6. On top of this pour 1-1/4 cup M&M's (holiday colors to suit).
7. Spoon 1/3 cup brown sugar into center of M&M's, gently pressing with a spoon. If you have any room left over, then fill the jar to the top with M&Ms.
Print or handwrite a tag to attach to the jar (use templates below if you like):
Holiday S'MORES 1. Empty the jar contents into a bowl. Snip the peeps into bits with kitchen shears or cut up with a knife. Return the bits to the mixture. Mix well. 2. Melt 1/2 cup butter; add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Pour this over the dry ingredients, mixing well. Pat into a greased 8" or 9" square pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 15 minutes. Cool and cut into bars.
I have prepared a few gift-tags for the upcoming holiday season. Click on the images to open a file in Adobe .pdf format. This might take a little while (esp. with a dial-up connection), but the files are formatted in a high quality and the wait is well worth it! When printed these tags will fit 10 to a sheet (regular 8.5" x 11"), formatted to fit a regular Avery business card template. Use either card stock or craft paper, or the business card sheets which are already perforated and easy to tear apart. Print the front page, then reinsert the paper into your printer (please check manufacturer's instructions as to how to feed the paper for 2-sided printing) and print the back of the cards. Punch a little hole in the top left corner of the cards and you're ready to attach to the jars.